There are a number of guides available which give details of visitor attractions. The Wicklow County Guide can be obtained from Wicklow Tourism. "Wicklow - The Garden of Ireland" is a video available in English, American, French, German and Italian. Length 25 minutes, To order phone 0404 20070 (Wicklow Tourism) There are many other books etc also available. Please enquire. Attractions listed are a selection from around and near Glendalough.Wicklow is an area rich in History and Culture, with a large number of archaeological and historical sites of great interest; from the old century monastic sites in Glendalough, to any number of historic houses and gardens.

The site is managed by the Wicklow Web Centre. Any comments are welcome, and we encourage links to any interesting information. If you wish your site to be included please e-mail with your details. will also design a web site for you if you wish or provide a link to your own web site. Contact us and we will advise accordingly. Thank you and enjoy your stay

There are so many attractions in Wicklow and in particular around Glendalough. We have listed but a few to give a flavour for you to select from
The best kept secret in Wicklow is our Gardens. Our moist temperate climate tempered by the Gulf Stream is particularly conducive to garden making and in these conditions a wide range of plants varying from great trees and shrubs to herbaceous plants and the smallest alpines flourish and prosper. This is why we are known as the 'Garden of Ireland'.
Wicklow is an area rich in history and culture, with a large number of archaeological and historical sites of great interest, from the 6th century monastic site at Glendalough, to any number of historic houses and gardens.
Bray Head
Situated at the south end of Bray Town, Bray Head (241m) rises steeply above the sea and affords wonderful views of the mountains, lowlands and sea, including views to Dalkey Island and Wicklow head. .
Brittas Bay Beach
Brittas Bay Beach stretches for 3,2km and is covered in a powdery sand with a sand dune system, which is designated an area of significant interest. It has been awarded the EU Blue Flag for beaches over a number of years. .
Glencree Reconciliation Centre, Glencree
01 2829711
Originally built as a garrison barracks in 1779 to seek out rebels in the mountains, later a reformatory for young offenders and now a reconciliation centre. Tel: 01 2829711, Email: Web: .
Meetings of the Waters, Avoca
At the Meetings of the Waters, 3km north of Avoca, the Avonmore and Avonbeg rivers come together to form the river Avoca, here on a rustic seat, formed from the root of a tree, the poet, Thomas Moore is said to have written the words of the Irish melody, "The meetings of the Waters". The adjacent Pub "The Meetings" and the area around this location is renowned for traditional music ballard sessions. ( Tel 0402 35226 .
Powerscourt Waterfall, Enniskerry
6 Km south of Enniskerry on the road to Roundwood and Glendalough, the highest waterfall in Ireland tumbles from a height of 120m into the Dargle Glen. A popular picnic areaa, includes refreshment, toilets, playground and nature trail. The waterfall is open daily from 9.30am to 7pm (Summer) and 10/30am to dusk (Winter) Tel 01 2046000. .
Blessington Lakes, Blessington
Serenely set in the foothills of the Wicklow Mountains, the Blessington Lakes cover 5,000 acres of tranquil clean water. The lakes were formed in 1950's by building the Poulaphouca Dam and hydroelectric power station and today serve dual purpose of providing power and water supply to the Dublin region. Many amenities can be enjoyed in the Lake area. .
Turlough Hill Power Station, Glendalough
The only pumped storage hydroelectric scheme in Ireland is situated in a beautiful and historic location at the summit of the Wicklow Gap above Glendalough. This man made lake is worth viewing. .
Victoria's Way, Roundwood
Victoria's Way is situated 1.6km north of Roundwood on the Enniskerry/Sallygap road. Victoria's way is an Art and Philosophy Park set in 22 acres of unspoilt Wicklow countryside. It's a place to take time out, calm down and get in touch with yourself. Tel 01 2818502, Web: .
Wicklow Mountains National Park, Kilafin, Laragh
This Park is one of six national parks in Ireland. The park is situated south of Dublin, centring on Glendalough, and is about 20,000 hectares. The park, which ranges over some of the wildest and most remote land in Ireland, is home to large heard of deer, and many smaller animals including badgers and otters. There is a park information Office and Education Centre approximately 100 m from the upper lake car Park and 2 km from the Glendalough Visitors centre. Admission is free. Tel: 0404 45425/45338, Web: .
Glendalough Visitor Centre
Glendalough Visitor Centre, Tel: 0404 45325/45352, stands at the entrance to Glendalough Valley, just beside the main part of the monastic settlement. The visitor centre houses an exhibition, an audio-visual show entitled :Ireland on the "Monastics" and there are regular guided tours of the monastic site. There is access for visitors with disabilities to the Visitor centre. Guide dogs are permitted. Open daily in the summer from 9.30am to 5.00pm.
Maritime Museum, Arklow
0402 32868
Arklow Maritime Museum, Saint Marys Road, Arklow, deals extensively with the maritime history of Arklow, in particular its boat building, lifeboat and fishing traditions. Open Monday to Saturday 10am to 5 pm. Clsed for lunch
Russborough House


ugh House

Russborough House, Russborough, Blessington, County Wicklow. Tel: +353 (0)45-865239. Fax: +353 (0)45-865054. The House was built in the palladian style in 1741 and is beautifully maintained and contains paintings for the Beit Collection, fine furniture, tapestries, carpets, porcelain, silver and bronzes. Russborough is situated about 2 miles south of Blessington on the N81. Open from 10:30-5:00 in April on Suns. & Bnk. Hol., EVERY DAY IN MAY, JUNE, JULY AUGUST, SEPT, and in October on Suns. & Bnk. Hol. Groups by arrangement.

Kilruddery House


Kilruddery House and Gardens, Bray, County Wicklow. Tel: 01-2863405 Fax: 01-2862777. Killruddery House has been the home to the Brabazon family the Earls of Meath) since 1618. The House itself dates from the 1600s but was completely remodeled in 1820. The Drawing Room and Dining Room have very impressive ceilings. A wonderful Orangery was added in 1852 and contains a collection of statuary mainly from Italy. Killruddery is unique in having the most extensive early formal gardens, still in their original style, surviving in Ireland. They were largely laid out in the 1680s. They are amongst the most important gardens of their type in these islands. Killruddery is situated off the link road from N11 (Bray/Greystones exit) or south of Bray Town off the Greystones road. Gardens Open 1st April - 30th September. House open: May, June & September, 1pm to 5pme-mail: 2
Powerscourt Gardens


House Exhibition

Powerscourt Gardens and House Exhibition, Near Enniskerry, County Wicklow. Tel: 01-2046000 Fax: 01-2046900 Web: Email: One of the World's Great Gardens. Powerscourt is situated 19km (12 miles) south of Dublin in the foothills of the Wicklow Mountains. It is a sublime blend of formal gardens, sweeping terraces, statuary and ornamental lakes together with secret hollows, rambling walks and over 200 variations of trees and shrubs. The 18th Century Palladium House now incorporates an innovative shopping experience, terrace cafe and house exhibition. Facilities include speciality shops, interiors gallery, garden pavilion and 18-hole golf course. The House & Gardens are open daily from 9.30am to 5.30pm. Closed 25th and 26th of December and Gardens close at dusk in winter. 3
Avondale House


Forest Park

Avondale House & Forest Park, Rathdrum, County Wicklow. Tel: 0404-46111. Web: Situated 1.6km (1 mile) south of Rathdrum Town, Avondale House built in 1777 is a Georgian House set in an estate of 500 acres of glorious forest parkland along the Banks of the Avonmore River. In 1846 Charles Stewart Parnell one of the greatest political leaders of modern Irish History was born at Avondale. The house is now a museum to his memory and visitors are introduced to Avondale by way of an audio-visual presentation Visit the house or stroll through Ireland's premier Forest Arboretum with its breathtaking views, miles of forest trails offer endless variety to the walker including the new "Sli na Slainte Irish Heat Foundation" walking route. Other facilities include Restaurant designated picnic areas; children's play area and car/coach park. Open daily 17th March - 31st October from 11 am to 6.00pm. Last admission one hour before closing. Admission is charged. Kllmacurragh, 9.7km (6 miles) from Rathdrum, County Wicklow. Tel: 01-8377596 Fax: 01 8374388. 4
Mount Usher Gardens, Ashford
0404 40203
Mount Usher Gardens, Ashford, is laid out along the banks of the Vartry river at Ashford. They measure 20 acres and contain approx. 5,000 different species of plants and tress including many Rhododendrons, Magnolias, Camellias, Eucryphia and Azaleas. Water forms and essential part of the sceny with cascades and suspension bridges. Dating from 1860, there is a lovely tearoom, shoipping courtyard and many crafts and items of interest. Open daily March 14th to November 1st. Tel: 0404 402005, E-mail: Wen:
National Garden Exhibition Centre, Kilquade
01 2819890
The Centre is situated off the N11 route about 3.2 km south of the Glen O'The Downs. The centre features 19 gardens laid out by some of thebest designers and contractors and aims to create the maximum amount of diversity and contrast between large and small gardens. Open Monday to Saturday 10am to 6pm, and Sunday from 1pm. Tel 02 2819890, E-mail:, Web:
Kilmacurragh, Rathdrum
01 8377596
This is an arboretum particularly famous for its conifers and califuges, planted during the 19th century by Thomas Acton in vonjunction with David Moore and his son, Sir Frederick Moore, curators of the National Botanic Gardeens in G;lasnevin, Dublin. It contains a magnificent collection of exotic trees and shrubs including a collection of rhodendrums. Open all year and admission is free. Tel 01 8377896. 9 Km from Rathdrum Village
Wicklow Gardens Festival
0404 20070
Wicklow International Gardens Festival. Contact Wicklow Tourism. Tel 0404 20070. E-mail: Web the are over 30 Gardens opened both privately as well as the normal national gardens. Our moist climate tempered by the Gulf stream is particularly conduceive to garden making - never extremes of temperature - and in these conditions a wide range of plants varying from great trees and shrubs to herbaceous pants and the smallest alpines flourish and prosper. Wicklow has been blessed with an abundance of marvellous gardens ranging from the 17th century to the recently created ones, from grand scale to cottage type. It is therefore no surprise that the county of Wicklow is known as the "Garden of Ireland".
Altidore Castle
01 2819188
Attldore Castle, Kilpedder. Tel: 01-2819186. A Georgian castle house owned by the Emmet family descended from the United Irish man, Thomas Addis Emmet. On view are historic Emmet papers, portraits and possessions including those of "The Patriot" Robert Emmet. The house is open from March 1st to the 20th and from May 1st to June 10th from 10.00am until 2.00pm. Prior notice appreciated. Groups throughout the year by appointment. Admission charged.
Baltinglass Abbey
Baltinglass Abbey is situated on the east bank of the River Slaney on the north side of Baltinglass town. Dermot McMurrough, King of Leinster, founded the abbey in 1148 for the Cistercian Order of monks. In 1228 it is recorded that there were 36 monks and 50 lay brothers living there.. Like many other similar foundations of its period the monks were accused of sheltering Irish Rebels and with the suppression of all religious foundations by King Henry VIII in the mid 16th century, it ceased to function as a religious institution. The Abbey is now in ruins but fragments of the church and traces of the cloister survive. The surviving nave, doorways and tombs make it a very worthwhile visit.
Baltinglass Heritage


Visitor Centre

0508 82270
Baltinglass Heritage and Visitor Centre, Baltinglass. Tel: 0508 82270 This Centre is situated in the heart of Baltinglass, beside and underneath the Courthouse. It is designed to reflect on the history and heritage since the early ages of all surrounding areas of West Wicklow, Carlow and South Kildare. Beneath the Courthouse, the exposure of the old arched prison cells gives an interesting insight into the conditions in which prisoners were incarcerated in earlier ages. The centre is open from May to September inclusive and it also incorporates the Tourist Information office. Individuals and groups welcome.
Bray Heritage Centre


Tourist Information

01 2866796
Bray Heritage Centre and Tourist Information Office, Old Courthouse, Lower Main Street, Bray. Tel: 01-2866796 Fax: 01-2828480 E-mail: It was erected in 1841 and opened as a Heritage Centre in 1992. There is a permanent exhibition entitled "From Strongbow to Steam" covering one thousand years of Bray. Downstairs depicts a castle and dungeon, while upstairs has an operating model railway and town. Opening times are June/July/August, Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm and Saturday (all year) 10.00am to 3.00pm except closed at lunch between l-2pm. Rest of year, Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4.30pm.
The Dwyer McAlister


0404 45325
The Dwyer McAlister Cottage. Derrynamuck, Knockancarrigan. Tel: 0404-45325/45352 Fax: 0404-45626. The cottage is situated in the Glen of Imaal on the Knockanarrigan/Rathdangan Road. The cottage nestles in the shade of Kaedeen Mountain at the top of the grassy lane leading up from the road. It is a fine example of a vernacular thatched cottage built with local stone and whitewashed inside and out. It was from this cottage that Michael Dwyer escaped from British troops in 1799. The cottage was burned by the British during the battle but was repaired and continued to be inhabited until the turn of the century when it became unoccupied and fell into ruin. It was restored to its original form as a monument in 1946 and again extensively repaired and re-roofed in 1992. Open daily from mid-June to mid-September, from 2.00pm to 6.00pm.
Holts Way Drive
Holts Way Drive This sign-posted tour begins in Aughrim and covers south Wicklow. It is named after a prominent 1798 leader, Joseph Holt from Roundwood. He was deported to Australia for his part in the rebellion. Also in this tour are the towns of Tinahely with its prominent courthouse, the pretty estate village of Shillelagh and Carnew with golf course located nearby at Coolattin. Other highlights include Tomnafinnoge Wood, the last remnant of the once extensive oak woodlands of south Wicklow and the historic Kilcavan Gap.
Wicklow's Historic Goal 0404 61599 Wicklow's Historic Goal is situated in Wicklow Town, opposite the Grand Hotel. . Gear stories of old as told by the Goaler, the 18th Century Gaol Museum and the ship's Captain as they take you on an unforgetable journey through Irish history. Wander through the cells, meet the inmates and listen to their stories before you embark upon a journey to Boatany Bay aboard the "Hell Ship" the Hercules. Open daily March to October 10am to 6pm.